[Xmca-l] Re: Alex Kozulin's notion of three planes of understanding

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 22:31:01 PDT 2014

Yes, but the comment that Vygotsky could only have been written within
a particular historical epoch always seems trite, banal, and therefore
basically wrong to me. It is, of course, objectively true that every
historical moment is different from every other historical moment, if
only by virtue of the fact that the other historical moments precede
it and each historical moment therefore includes their trace. It is
also true that if you try to write like Vygotsky in our own day people
will laugh (Martin once accused me of trying, and in my defense I had
to plead, naively, that I thought that's what a translator did).

Professor Glick says, in his preface to the History of the Development
of the Higher Mental Functions in Volume Four of the Collected Works,
that Vygotsky really has TWO salient characteristics which rather
contradict each other. One is that he is intensely engaged in
virtually all of the major psychological and even philosophical
disputes of his time--very frustrating for the translator because it
mires you in footnotes, but of really an essential part of Vygotsky
the public intellectual. The other, which I think is really more
important, is that he always manages to seem like his writing about
YOUR time as well as his own.

Marx remarks that the thing we need to explain about the ancient
Greeks is not what they meant to themselves; they didn't even know
that they were ANCIENT Greeks. What we really need to explain is why
they still mean anything to us today at all. But that's my wife's
job--she's teaching World Lit these days, and they have to spend weeks
and weeks getting Odysseus home to Ithaca.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies