[Xmca-l] Re: Is Sociocultural Theory Psychology?

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:17:21 PDT 2014

Message from Francine:

Metatheories in psychology typically are just as humanistic and /or philosophical as they are psychological science. Among these are Piaget's theory based on French Structuralism, Psychoanalytic theory, the American Humanistic psychology of Rogers and Maslow, and Vygotsky's theory. Never-the-less much empirical research has been generated from these theories and their disagreements with opposing theories. In contrast, reductionist theories like Behaviorism generate a lot of research but ignore the complicated interplay of obvious factors like culture or neural functioning. Even contemporary neuroscience, which generates tons of data from ever increasing technological innovations, is essentially reductionist. When asked to answer the tough questions about cultural and environmental influences the typical replay from neuroscience will be a conflicting review of research, and a summary of the functions of various neurological systems.

Neuroscience and its customary psychopharmacological interventions has unseated
psychotherapies as explanations for human behavior, but this has a lot to do with
the economic profits derived from prescription drugs. Crime rates, rates of psychological disorders, and educational achievement rates have not improved.

Perhaps, there will be a 21st century Revivalism in psychology to once again examine the
synergistic interplay of cultural, social, cognitive, emotional, and neurological factors affecting human behavior.  After all, even Wilhelm Wundt recognized the two fold nature of psychological investigations, Cultural Psychology and Experimental Psychology.