[Xmca-l] Re: Public Academics and its risks

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 19:58:09 PDT 2014

and there is another story that runs somewhat parallel to this that
involves academics at the front end of their careers:
http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2014/03/10/essay-about-inability-find-tenure-track-job-academe

the author, Patrick Iber, doesn't explicitly mention a failure to bring in
big money, but one suspects that this might have been one of the big knocks
against him considering that he teaches courses like "Artists,
Intellectuals, and Social Change in Latin America" (see his blog at:
http://patrickiber.blogspot.com/). Not likely to bring in the big grants
with that...

It is a nasty world out there. Anyone have any ideas how to make it better?

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor