[Xmca-l] Re: INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 06:51:35 PST 2014

I am going to add some further *commentary* to John's particular
exploration of aspects of wayfinding.  I do this in the spirit of
hermeneutics AS an open circle.  I notice a famiy *resemblance* between
John's writings and the preface to Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit"
exploring similar themes.

Hegel wrote:

"The spirit however BECOMES an object, for the spirit IS this movement of
becoming something OTHER for itself i.e. and object for its self, AND THEN
to sublimate THIS otherhood.  And EXPERIENCE is the NAME we give to this
MOVEMENT in which the immediate, the unexperienced, i.e. the astract,
whether of sensible BEING or of a bare, simple THOUGHT, becomes estranged
and then RETURNS to itself FROM estrangement, and is only then PRESENTED in
its actuality and truth and BECOMES the property of consciousness."

I *read* John as offering further commentary on THIS movement within fluid
dynamic open circles AS *intra*-actions in contrast to *inter*-actions.

As an aside, Alex Kozulin wrote this reflection on the GENRE of commentary:

"The genre of this book [Vygotsky's Psychology A Biography of Ideas] can be
defined as that of a commentary. If not the only acceptable form of
scholary trestise, the genre of commentary in the last century fell into
disrepute and was pushed aside by experimental monographs and SYSTEMATIC
surveys of literature. There is a good reason for such a fate. To start
with a good commentary always takes as its subject a corpus of writings of
a superior quality, and there are not many of those nowadays. Second, the
very idea of commentary is incompatible with the popular view of human
knowledge AS a temporalized progression from inaccurate facts to accurate
ones. Commentary always aims [orients] as a DIALOGUE, with a superior text,
the outcome of which is a NEW READING of this text and thus, by
implication, a conception of the NEW one."

I hope John's article will be *read* in the spirit of commentary AS
*wayfinding*.

Larry