[Xmca-l] Re: What Faces Can't Tell Us

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 14:11:55 PST 2014

Peter,

Your concern here reminds me of the issue that John Lucy raises with the
use of Munsell color chips to determine whether one's language affects
one's perception of color. In his essay "The Linguistics of 'color'", John
argues that using Munsell chips is problematic because it inscribes "color"
as THE domain to be perceived when, in fact, many of the languages of the
world include other qualia in their color terms. Thus, by limiting the
respondents' options to just the Munsell array, one is categorically ruling
out possible relativity effects of languages that are different from our
own in the way that they slice up the world.

Here are John's words (better than mine but also a bit longer):
"This array consisted of a selection from a set of Munsell color samples
which varied on hue, saturation, and brightness. As a representative of
everyday contexts, the array was very restricted, both in its exclusive
focus on color and in the kinds of colors presented (e.g., including no
variation in luster, luminosity, or reflectance). In a sense, the stimulus
array dictated in advance the possible meanings the terms could have since
no other meanings were embodied in the samples. Although restricted in this
way, the stimulus array was also very complex, and the labeling task
performed with it forced informants to make referential microcomparisons
and judgments of a sort rarely encountered in daily life. The task assumed
that speech is about labeling accuracy rather than situational
intelligibility..." (p. 323)

It is possible that these lab studies of emotion are onto something, but it
seems that one would want to see ethnographic work that explores what terms
people in these cultures use and, more importantly, how they actually USE
these terms as they go about their daily lives. But that is a much bigger
project...

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.