[Xmca-l] Re: Playing with/at TED

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:42:43 PDT 2014

I agree completely with Tom's remarks. I remember that almost every summer
in Chicago between five and ten black children in the city would be
murdered by police for playing with toy guns. Consider this:

http://www.mintpressnews.com/us-police-murdered-5000-innocent-civilians-since-911/172029/

To link this to the previous thread--I don't think that the article "What
Theory is Not" has a workable definition of theory, and for that reason I
found it little more than a list of complaints. But part of the dialectical
method is defining what things are by looking at what things are
not: transgressing that boundary is precisely what we mean when we say that
something is in the process of becoming what it is not.

One of the problems of Lois's talk is that it doesn't give us a very clear
view of what play is not. But I would say that street kids talking to
policemen about their fear of being gunned down in the street is a pretty
good place to start.

Lois herself recognizes in her talk that the conversations are not part of
the play. But then we need to look at when and where the activity stopped
being play, and above all why. Otherwise we rob "play" of all of its
content.

I think the same thing is true when we say that children play constantly,
from the moment they wake up to the moment they go to bed (and Vygotsky, of
course, says the opposite--play is a "leading" activity but for that very
reason we cannot say it is the main activity).

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

PS: Obviously, the teacher who claimed that their generation in China (my
wife's generation) did not play after the age of two was just playing
around with poor Lois. But that's no reason to play along...

dk