[Xmca-l] Re: Playing with/at TED

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 06:53:56 PDT 2014

Carol et al:

Thanks for insisting that we watch this.

This contribution to the xmca conversation follows well from the recent discussion of the article Mike posted about what is NOT theory. This is a brief, clear presentation intended to get people thinking and give them some contrasting, vivid examples to feed that thinking. She does not get into the theory behind her argument -- her argument being that through "play" with others, people create and become themselves, and that this  not only happens with babies and children but also with communities, workforces and polarized social groups.

One could say that what Lois is doing is re-defining play without telling us why and then calling it "revolutionary".  I don't think that matters. I personally am impressed by how she manages to stay on topic, proceed from one point to the next and keep a relaxed, personal tone of voice all the while standing on that red dot in the spotlight. That's a performance, right there.

So just taking what she says and working backwards towards what might undergird her argument, I would say that it looks as if play, according to the examples she provides, has certain consistent characteristics.  One, it's collective. The oncology nurses, the Chinese elementary school teachers, and the police and NY teenagers are not playing alone, they are playing with each other and in fact engaging in a process of learning to play together. Second, it's conscious -- it's a performance, in which people see and are seen and respond to what they are mutually communicating. That is, it's intentionally dialectical. Third, although all three examples are of groups that are initially defined as a workforce (nurses, teachers, police/kids), it is separate from work. They are not being "productive" (although they may be more productive workers when they go back to their jobs). But for these exercises, they are off the job, engaged in something that does not directly make money.

So what if (and I'm sort of playing, here) I said that Lois is implicitly defining play as activity that is collective, dialectical and outside the profit nexus?

Come to think of it, that definition would be what distinguishes it from the collective competence exercises described in Boreham, Fischer and Samurcay, Work Process Knowledge, where firefighters or submariners prepare for emergency situations through role plays.

What do people think?

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com
hworthen@illinois.edu