[Xmca-l] Re: theory not

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:55:32 PDT 2014

Thank you.  This rings true to me.

I am, of course, interested in the spillover onto the workforce and I think i can see it happening at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, CA. Kaiser is a gigantic HMO with hospitals all over California and a few other states. In Oakland, they have just built a new hospital building where, among other things, the new Emergency Room is going to be located. I have been able to get updates about the training of ER nurses who are going to be moving soon into this new space. Kaiser has selected some teams of experienced nurses and is training them as trainers. They will then be on duty as trainers while the rest of the nursing workforce learns how to function in the new space.  Given the highly time-sensitive functions that happen in an ER, along with the carefully and consciously managed channels of communication within and around different teams of workers, the transition into a different space -- even one ideally configured to make the work as efficient and effective as possible -- is a big educational challenge. . I know that they're doing role plays (I think of the construction of collective competence, here) for example.

A lot of the technology is new, too.

This is all happening in the context of an anticipated labor dispute when the nurses' contracts expire later this summer. At present, Kaiser has put a freeze on hiring so that 40% of nurses are "travelers" meaning nurses who are not Kaiser employees; they come from nursing agencies.  This is also a ripple in the waves created by the shift to implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

Helena

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com