[Xmca-l] Re: bildung and obuchenie

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 07:56:13 PDT 2014

Greg, Rod,

Thanks for this article exploring bildung as *serious play*.
The distinction which Ricoeur explores between *socius* and *neighbour*
seems to offer an entry into moral stances as *staying open to the other*
and moving away from *having* re-presentations of the already formed.

It seems the notion of *serious play* as holding one's perspective
lightly [in contrast to frivolous play] and remaining open to alterity and
the other [Gadamer's notion of *fusions of horizons* as entering play]
expands and deepens the seriousness of the understanding of play in
developmental theory. Play moves beyond a particular stage of development
to become developmentally emergent within all of life's engagements. This
notion of *serious* play within a dialogue with *socius* also transforms
the notion of *socius as roles* [as Ricouer explores this distinction].
Serious play moves *beyond* socius and structural relations AS *systems*

Larry