[Xmca-l] Re: bio-social-behavioral shift and Problem of Age

mike cole lchcmike@gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 18:22:20 PDT 2014

This note is a sort of an answer to the questions raised by Holly that have
relevance to the observations of Katie and others.

Regarding the textbook:

Neither my wife nor i have had any input to the process of the revision of
our book in its current instantiation. Cynthia Lightfoot took over the
heavy work of revision two editions ago, adding some marvelous material on
evolution and phylogeny and made other modifications as well. The
disappearance of the notion of bio-social-behavioral shift could have come
about for any number of reasons, but I do not know what they are. The
relentless need to simplify might be involved.

My own work has been enormously influenced by writing that text with Sheila
who has been my con-spiritor since early adolescence. We wrote the book as
our own children were going through that storied time of life. I still
believe that the idea of bio-social-behavioral shifts occurring in specific
cultural-historical, ontogenetic circumstances is a useful way to conceive
of the constituents of development. While it may have disappeared from
textbooks it lives both in articles about culture and development and as a
guide to my long standing project on the development and sustainability of
tertiary artifacts/activity systems.

The ideas in the Cole and Cole textbook and how they appear in the context
of international discourse about culture and development is pretty well
represented in the following article -- for those who wonder what the hell
we are talking about and would like to find out.

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/People/MCole/InteractiveMinds0001.pdf

mike