[Xmca-l] Re: The ideal head

Katherine Wester Neal wester@uga.edu
Wed Jul 30 12:13:39 PDT 2014

I agree that a monumental crisis takes place between the age of 2 and 3. I wouldn't call it the "terrible twos," but I think it results from the "language explosion" that often occurs at that age. A child learns that all these sounds s/he has been hearing can be used meaningfully as a tool for exerting control on the world around him/her and faces a crisis in how to use them.

I think the crisis around 6 years old comes from the understanding that what one does in the world has consequences. That change, as I understand it, is the basis for laws that place the age of culpability around 5-6 in the U.S. (In many U.S. states, children under this age can't be charged with a crime because they don't have the capability to understand that they've done something wrong.) Perhaps there are other suggestions? And what typifies the crisis at 1? How is it biological?

Katie

Katie Wester-Neal
University of Georgia

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of peter jones <h2cmng@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:20 PM
To: Culture ActivityeXtended Mind
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The ideal head

The one at 2-2.5 is easy - "terrible twos"? :-)
Is this just a myth though?

More seriously, there do appear to developmental milestones however:
Use of and ambivalence in Yes / No?
Regards,
Peter (father of three)
Peter Jones
Lancashire, UK
Blogging at "Welcome to the QUAD"
http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/
h2cm: help 2C more - help 2 listen - help 2 care
http://twitter.com/h2cm