[Xmca-l] Re: book of possible interest

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:13:13 PDT 2014

Francis:

Well, what I appreciate about your posts is not the detail--that must
depend upon the granularity of the writing--but rather the generous, fluent
length of it. I confess I am sometimes perplexed the gnomic nature of some
of the comments on the list. (For example, WHICH of my quotations is a
misquotation? Does Huw mean that it is not right to take Vygotsky from the
1934 edition? Or, as seems more likely, is he referring to the way that I
characterized his own position and that of Andy? Although the word
"quotation" is not really apposite in the latter case, his irritation is
quite understandable; I certainly could not even begin to recognize my
position in the terms that Andy used to restate it--e.g. "semantic action".
Still, the phrase "nevermind" doesn't exactly serve to disambiguate, does
it?).

Never mind. I take your point about the metafunction to be foregrounded in
an analysis depending very much on the context; that is certainly true. Of
course, when we use the term context, we are not referring to something
that is entirely non-textual; on the contrary, we are referring to things
which are selected, intentionally, for textualization, either potentially
or actually. So a context isn't just "out there"; it's something that has
already been semantically processed in some way. ("A thing for others"
rather than simply "a thing in itself").

1. I guess don't really understand is what the "dominant" function is.
First of all, it seems to me that functions are selected by feeling,
thinking, speaking subjects: I choose to get attention with "Hi!", to give
information with "I'm Mr. K" and to check understanding with "And you?"
although I certainly could have chosen to realize these functions in many
other ways or not at all. When I do an analysis, it is me, as researcher,
who chooses the function to analyze on the basis of the goals of my work
(just as I must choose a minimally meaningful unit of analysis. Secondly,
it seems to me that although we do choose functions, both when we research
and when we speak, we don't choose them any way we like: it is always more
difficult to use a function that has evolved for one thing to do
something completely different (and for that very reason, "My preference is
for living in the country" is more prestigious than "I prefer to live in
the country", simply because it is less canonical to realize a process with
a noun than with a verb).  So when you say the "dominant" function, do you
mean the "predominant" (i.e. the evolved, typical, canonical way of
realizing the function) or do you mean the opposite: the invented,
contra-typical, and anti-canonical way?

2. I guess I don't really see how Halliday assumes free and fair exchange
of language. Halliday considers the interpersonal metafunction concerned
with the exchange of two kinds of commodities: material goods/service, and
information. But the way it is concerned with them is by enabling
particular roles: if I ask a question, I cast you as an answerer, and if I
make a statement, I cast you as an acknowledger. Some of these roles are
very obviously more powerful than others: giving commands is a case in
point. But of course roles can be refused: questions go unanswered,
statements unacknowledged, and, god forbid, commands disobeyed. This
possibility is certainly acknowledged, but it doesn't necessarily confer
free and fair exchange of language.

3. I am always worried about definitions of discourse as a purely
socio-cultural phenomenon. First of all, every sociocultural phenomenon has
a biomechanical base to it, and of course discourse is no exception. But
more generally it seems to me that if we say, in a moment of unguarded
exuberance, that discourse is a socio-cultural phenomenon only, we then
have to add some kind of defining relative clause which excludes phenomena
that are socio-cultural but which are not discourse. Otherwise, we're not
really defining; we're just being redundant. And even if we do add such a
defining relative clause (e.g. discourse consists of all those
socioculturla phenomena that have been verbalized in some way) we will have
to differentiate between verbalizing things for "social contact" and
verbalizing things for "intra-mental" contact between psychological
functions. That is, after all, the basis of the distinction between the
interpersonal and the ideational metafunctions, no?

Your work on IRS workers sounds fascinating. Is it published? Can I wheedle
my uni into buying it? (We bought two copies of Helen's book, and I'm
reading one.)

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies