[Xmca-l] Critical Periods of Development

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Jul 24 21:29:51 PDT 2014

I have changed the subject line, Greg, because I think the issues you
raise are relatively remote from the issues raised in the "ideal head"
thread.
The question of "critical periods of development" came to the fore again
for me in relation to recent discussions about the concept of
perezhivanie, a discussion which included Russians, who see
perezhivanija as relevant only to development during adulthood.
English-speakers have never taken perezhivanie in that way, taking it to
cover the active relation of any subject to their environment and the
emotion-laden experiences that are associated with critical periods of
development in childhood, and only secondarily in adulthood.

In my view, the place of those experiences which adults have when
finding themselves in impossible positions and which stimulate them to
make a personal development, are symmetrical in many ways with the
experiences of children when they experience a "rite of passage", taking
up a different role in the family, with new needs met in new ways and
subject to new expectations. Vygotsksy theorizes these crises in terms
of "social situation of development" - a form of words which could
equally apply to adults - such periods being terminated by periods of
critical development, i.e., leaps.

There is a difference though. (1) For a child the key problem is
becoming an adult and gaining the kind of mediated independence
associated with being a 'sovereign', adult citizen of a community,
whereas for the adult, who has already achieved that, the problem is
indeterminate and diverse, arising usually when their life as it has
hitherto gone along meets up with some barrier or conflict. (2) A child
is not capable, it is said, of the kind of protracted working over of
experiences and conscious restructure of their relationship to the
world, alone; in general that role is fulfilled by adult carers who,
once the child has thrown off their former role, constitute a new social
position for the child by means of new expectations placed upon the
child, a social position into which the child must grow.

Now I am not a psychologist and all I can do is interpret what I read
from others, but that's how I see the situation. But these propositions
are falsifiable and I expect child psychologists would want to test
them. For my part, on the basis of my own experience as an adult who has
been involved in organisations which demanded personal development from
their members, I am comfortable that the concept of perezhivanie matches
my experiences.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/