[Xmca-l] Re: The ideal head

mike cole lchcmike@gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:26:39 PDT 2014

Helena--  This way of putting things helps to illustrate the double sided
nature of linguisitic/cultural mediation. You write

 a  "fictional" idea has power

Yes, it is a sign embodied in language that acts upon the external world at
the same time that must be "suited" for the circumstances. Enabling and
constraining. Ideas persist in their existence only to the extent that they
are materialized and "taken up" by society. The class based and all other
"dimensions of power" play a huge role in the odds we would put on the
weaker interlocuter exterting sufficent power by words alone.
mike