[Xmca-l] Re: The ideal head

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 11:27:34 PDT 2014

Helena,
Absolutely agreed. I see that as another way of saying that "culture"
matters (history too!).
I think this is where Lois Holzman's work is really interesting and
exciting. She is dealing with the problem of becoming - and the particular
problem of becoming that upper-class persons are not faced with. You can
hear it in the way that upper-class kids talk - they already ARE
upper-class. For the lower-class kid there is an added burden of becoming
that involves becoming someone who BELONGS in those places (whether schools
or board rooms or political governing bodies or whatever). I take it that
this is the problem that this girl is faced with she feels like she is
someone who does not belong there. Lois' work suggests that the metaphor
(and practice) of play can be particularly powerful here. By playing out
roles - even if the tired and overdetermined roles of lower class, Black,
inner-city adolescent - children cultivate an awareness of the play-fulness
of everyday life, the fact that "being someone who belongs" is a performed
role. And one that, with a little practice, they too can perform.
That's just my take on what Lois is up to. I'm sure there is more to it
than what I have described.
And it does seem like there is another narrative running alongside the
"nobility can do it with hard word" that says that "anybody can do it with
hard work". The former seems a more traditionally British mythos (nobility
are fundamentally hard working people) while the latter is peculiarly
American (whomever is hard working will become American nobility - i.e.
upper class). But having said that, it is hard not to feel that the logic
of the former is not still operating in the U.S. (as I suggested above).
Interesting mess. Lois' seems a good approach. Are there others? (and I
might also ask, moving from the individual to a more systemic question:
what is the larger problem that we are trying to solve).
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor