[Xmca-l] Re: Acquisition of word meaning

Douglas Williams djwdoc@yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 23:34:42 PDT 2014

Hi--

This is something I've often thought would be nice to see explored more.

Cognitive metaphor theory shows us that the underlying intent of most language is actually metaphor, emerging from a common embodied perspective that enables us to interact--which I think is one of Leontev's arguments too. Temple Grandin, dreams, and the emerging understanding of the physiology of the hippocampus, suggest that imagistic memory predates language, and that words are a secondary mechanism of the brain that serves first as a shorthand for the imagistic, associative form of thought that we share in common with all mammals, and then secondly as a creative medium of imaginary worlds.

So is it perhaps more correct to think that the sign--the characteristics of traits that enable the brain to produce (in terms of statistics) a similarity matrix to identify objects in the real world--is the real foundation of thought? Words, then, become the tertiary thing that allows us to escape the tyranny of the similarity matrix in the brain, and treat the world algebraically, making it subject to our will.

A relevant experiment along those lines:

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=1995-16251-001

When we say "the street is sad," we take control of the street, and make it reflect us--and others can share our minds, and see the world, not as it is, but through the lens of the metaphors and associations we concatinate in the medium of words.

Cheers
Doug