[Xmca-l] Re: book of possible interest

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 14:51:55 PDT 2014

Francis:

We just had about two weeks of "teaching practica". The terrified trainees
have to stand up and teach a fifteen minute lesson in front of peers
masequerading as children and three rabid professors making negative
comments. Not only is this not a very propitious environment in which to
try out new things (or even demonstrate basic teaching skills), it's a
really an opportunity made in hell for saying anything intelligent about
teaching, which is, alas, my job.

Here's what I wanted to ask you, since you have a background in
systemic-functional grammar and CDA and above all because you seemed to
imply in your last that you thought the very attempt to engage can be
transformative (as opposed to demoralizing). I sometimes notice that the
best teachers have a regular rhythm--getting attention, giving information,
and checking understanding. This rhythm is faster when the "kids" are
learning something familiar and slower when the "kids" are on new
territory, but it's always there. I would like to say that these three
functions are related in some systematic way to imperatives, declaratives,
and interrogatives. But they are not, even when I take interpersonal
metaphors (e.g. "May I have your attention please?") into account. What do
you think I am looking at here?

Now, let me use this example to address some of what Huw and Andy have been
saying. I hope you'll see that the two threads are not quite as unrelated
as the two different titles suggest. Suppose I walk into a classroom, pick
out some friendly eye contact, and I say "Hi! I'm Mr. K. And you?" As you
can see, the first "Hi!" is an instance of getting attention. But it isn't
a figure of experience: it's a minor clause. "I'm Mr. K" is a major clause,
and "And you?" is an elliptical clause, parasitic on "I'm Mr. K" for most
of its wording. So it seems to me that SOME functions (e.g. getting
attention) are rather closer to figures of experience, while others are
more concerned with social contact. All functions have to be both, but they
don't have to be the same proportions of both, and so development is,
contrary to what Huw suggests, perfectly possible. Children do not leap
metaphysically, but dialectically--by going from using language mostly to
get attention (and largely without clause grammar) to using language to
give information and eventually using it to check understanding.

You can see that "Hi!" is a good example of the unity of behavior and
consciousness that Andy is talking about. But by the time we get to
checking understanding, the "behavior" element becomes pretty irrelevant: I
just don't see any way in which understanding can be described as
"behavior" and we can still retain the key distinction between
pseudoconceptual understanding and conceptual understanding.

In Andy's first point, he argues that when children are not using word
meanings to think (i.e. visiographical thinking, which plays a very
important role in getting children's attention) they are not thinking. I
prefer to think that they are thinking, but they are thinking using what
Vygotsky (and Buhler and especially Kohler, who were certainly genetic
psychologists) liked to call "practical intellect". It's intellect. But
it's not verbal thinking.

I'm not sure that I agree when Andy says, in his second point, that labour
is ALWAYS inadequate as a foundation for psychological inquiry--I imagine
Helena Worthen finds it very useful. But I certainly agree with Andy that
the revisionists (Leontiev, Zinchenko, Wertsch) took "labour" as
paradigmatic, and as a result they had to deep-six Vygotsky's late ideas
about the semantic structure of consciousness (that is, Vygotsky's idea
that minds are made of word meanings, not action plans). Some of the
revisionists did this reluctantly (Leontiev, at his best) but some of them
were quite strident (Zinchenko in particular). All of them considered
Vygotsky an idealist.

As I understand it, Huw DISAGREES with Andy and actually agrees with the
revisionist critique of Vygotsky on the grounds that children are mostly
preoccupied with action and not word meaning. That's all very true of
course: but they are NOT really preoccupied with labour activity. Their
preoccupations are with PLAY activity (Kim Yongho and I did a good study of
so-called "Task based teaching" that shows how children redefine tasks as
role plays and games). Play activity is, as Vygotsky has shown us,
genetically related to speech and not to labour.

Andy's third point is that semantic actions (???) create intellectual
structures in the mind. I don't know what a semantic action is; semantics
for me is the process of making something stand for something else, but I
don't see in what sense it helps to model this process as an "action". In
many ways, it is precisely a non-action, because it includes conditionality
and interpretability, neither of which is usefully modeled as action.

In any case, you and I, Francis, are Hallidayans. We know that ideation is
only a part of semantics (there is also the interpersonal and the textual
metafunction), and that intellect is only a part of ideation (there is the
experiential as well as the logical metafunction). So there is no basis
whatsoever for the charge of intellectualism (I think what Andy is really
getting at is not intellectualism but objectivism).

I agree with the Russians who say that "perezhivanie" is a well defined
concept. But to me "well defined" means developmentally so: it means that
the specific weight of the various components of "perezhivanie" have to be
allowed to change as we develop: so for young children "perezhivanie" is
largely "felt experience", and for older children it is mostly "thought
over--contemplated--experience". I don't see that thinking over is mostly
an intellectual exercise though--I always feel, even in these exchanges on
xmca, that there is a certain emotional component which makes us respond,
sometimes before we really even think things out.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies