[Xmca-l] Re: In Defense of Fuzzy Things

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:17:04 PDT 2014

Thanks Andy.  That's an interesting observation which I'll attend to next
time I read T&S.

My main response to this, however, is simply the appreciation that an
author has for his audience.  If Vygotsky (and Bateson and I would expect
Dewey too) know (or hold as a firm belief) that the only way a reader will
properly understand them is by working upon their own conceptions (i.e.
engaging in the theory, not simply spouting it), then it follows that they
cannot simply deliver the material on a plate.

However, the business of referring to clear observables as
epistemologically preferable (or stronger) when such observables are highly
suggestive (and effectively carry the underlying meaning for the reader
without the supporting theory) seems like a useful heuristic.

I had another thought but my eldest says its tea time!

Best,
Huw