[Xmca-l] Re: book of possible interest

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 21:41:38 PDT 2014

David,
I have been following your reflections through this thread.
You commented:

 So it's almost always more useful for me to
think of learning phenomena as NOT reducible to the physical, at least not
in their unit of analysis

I have been reflecting on the notion of *bildung* as learning.
The notion of *cultivation* and *disposition* and *comportment* as the
potential of learning.
I came across this quote from Gramsci who was questioning the notion of
*laws* as the basis for making social predictions. Such *laws* excluded the
subjective factor from history.
Gramsci wrote on social process: "Objective always means 'humanly
objective' which can be held to correspond exactly to 'historically
subjective' "

Merleau-Ponty also explored what I refer to as *disposition* with this
quote on the reality of history:
History "awakens us to the importance of daily events and action. For it is
a philosophy [of history -LP] which arouses in us a love for our times
which are not the simple repetition of human eternity nor merely the
conclusion of premises already postulated. It is a view that like the most
fragile object of perception - a soap bubble, or a wave - or like the most
simple dialogue, embraces indivisibly all the order and all the disorder of
the world."

I read these passages from Gramsci and M-P  as a way of exploring
*comportment* or *disposition* that is *learned*.  [bildung??] There is no
necessary or sufficient standpoint for interpreting this inherently
heterogeneous process. However we may potentially learn various
*approaches* or *ways* of being-in-the-world through learning processes.
The notion of *bildung* is a way to reflect on this learning process
Larry