[Xmca-l] Re: book of possible interest

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:53:15 PDT 2014

David,

Just to be clear, the error I was referring to was the attribution of a
theory (as an adjective) to the material thing (learning).  It would be
like saying, I am going to make a Newtonian cup of coffee in the morning
and a quantum mechanical cup of coffee in the afternoon.

I suppose colourful language serves the purpose of deliberate vagueness.
It's hard to be trendy and have a precise point.

I fear we are soon approaching the "teach yourself activity theory for
dummies" book someday soon.  From my understanding, the theory itself
repudiates such a thing -- one cannot spoon feed theory -- but I don't
think that will stop folk trying.

I see no problem (or contradiction) in top down approaches.  Solving a
problem in general is a powerful approach to many problems.  For many
problems the concrete details are amenable to design and configuration, one
can often choose tools to suit the proposed solution rather than
vice-versa.   But from an educational perspective, I see no alternative
than starting with the individual, ofcourse one can have general strategies
in doing so -- waiting to be asked before giving an explanation etc.

Nice chatting.

Best,
Huw