[Xmca-l] Re: In Defense of Fuzzy Things

Michael mlevykh@shaw.ca
Mon Jul 7 17:35:08 PDT 2014

I don't know whether my comments would clarify this discussion or make it
"fuzzier," but the Russian word, "созерцать" has 2 meanings: (1) to
contemplate; and (2) (philosophical) to perceive reality directly, as being
an initial emotional (sensual) stage (level) of knowledge (epistemology).
Sorry, I don't have the Russian keyboard to quote the Russian text in
Ozhegov's Dictionary of Russian Language.

Michael Levykh, PhD

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
[mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: July-07-14 4:33 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: In Defense of Fuzzy Things

Very interesting, David. Thanks.

Serendipitously, a coujple of hours ago I heard for the first time the
Russian word, созерцать (contemplate) which came up in a discussion of,
yes, perezhivanie. I did not know the word, but guessed it correctly from
examples that were given. And then you come up with the same idea in
Wordsworth. Like wow.  2.33 degrees of separation?

In the discussion of the development of perezhivanie, I think this line of
thinking is the way to go:

"It seems to me that ontogenetically, a "переживание" must needs be at
first mostly a "felt experience", because the child doesn't have much
experience to recollect in tranquility [or even with lots of emotion!-mc].
It seems that a developmental account is important. Do you know of one we
could draw upon? Do you think LSV provides one?\

mike