[Xmca-l] Re: Playing with/at TED

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 13:12:58 PDT 2014

Lois, Greg

This theme of *radical* play [going to the root of play] and Greg's playing
with the term *otherwise* than the real/actual I hope can be played with a
little further.

I *read* this theme of emerging lived experience / live experiencing [from
D Kellogg in the other post] as pointing to *human nature* as playing
 between the literal and metaphorical

Merleau-Ponty suggests that subjects and objects SIMULTANEOUSLY emerge
within  / clearings  /  fields  / dimensions /
and the difficulty arises when we expand an *object* to become perceived AS
THE  /field/clearing/dimension.
We loose sight of the *object* as an *aspect* of the clearing [where
becoming/not becoming are being *played out* within the simultaneous
emergence of subjectivity and objectivity] and we become lost in the object
AS IF it was the dimension of experience.

Mike, this playful theme I *read* also as an example of the metaphor of the
*developmental spiral* moving between *individuation* [subjectivity] AND
*integration* [self's return to original source at a *higher* level of
*development*
As I listened to Anna Stetsenko's contrasting Dewey's *transactional* model
with her *transformational* model I also *read* another version of this
*spiral* metaphor of subject and object playfully emerging within lived
experience / live experienced backward and forward play

This theme also ties in with the question of *humanism* within the notion
of *human nature* Is the character [quality] of *play* a transhistorical
phenomena?? Joel Kovel defines *transhistorical* as a phenomena that is a
property of *human nature* that needs to be manifest in all historical
situations, whwerever humans have made there world. Transhistorical
phenomena cannot be confined to particular historical locations. On the
other hand the transhistorical is not natural either [in the informal
sense] since the transhistorical ONLY manifests historically and so is
shaped decisively by particular historical conditions.
Transhistorical phenomena do confer a degree of universality and
*essentiality* to the notion of human nature.
Is it possible that *radical* play [could be otherwise] is a
transhistorical aspect mediating BETWEEN *human* AND *nature*??

Joel Kovel suggests there is an ensemble of five qualities/ideas of
*nature* which are variations on the THEME of *otherness* A sense that our
*human being* reflects a sense that our being is a part and yet distinct
from nature. A sense of our human incompleteness and mortality. Therefore
the metaphor of the *developmental spiral* playing out through the
Christian fall of the soul away from God, through neo-platonists through
Romantic return to nature and moving to current models of psychology and
even *critical hermeneutics* [see Joel Kovel]

AN ASIDE: Joel identifies nature's five qualities as *essence* *vital
force* *real material world*  *past* and *archetypal primal mother*  He
suggests all five qualities are variations on the theme of *otherness* [and
I would add *desire for return to integration]

I *read* radical play as possibly participating in this spiral metaphor AS
a *root* metaphor [radical AS root]

Larry

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Lois Holzman <lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org