[Xmca-l] Re: LSV on language as a model of development

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Jul 5 01:43:29 PDT 2014

For sure Alfredo, Dewey seems to be suggesting that "an experience" is
what we would call a unit of artistic creation or appreciation, and if
this is the case, then certainly his concept of "an experience" would have
a much wider application. But I am hesitant to go too far into this just
now because (1) I don't think Dewey was himself entirely clear on this
concept of "unit", and (2) most of the CHAT people who are participating
in this discussion around perezhivanie are certainly confused about what
Vygotsky meant by "unit." Vygotsky was not confused, but Nikolai Veresov
has drawn my attention to the fact that even the authoritative Minnick
translation of "Thinking and Speech" has, on occasion, mixed up 'unit' and
'unity' in the process of translating into English.
So before we get into Dewey on units and experiences, I am very concerned
that we are all very clear on what Vygotsky said on the subject!
Andy