[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of analysis RE: experience

Lubomir Savov Popov lspopov@bgsu.edu
Fri Jul 4 08:47:39 PDT 2014

Hi Michael,

We can separate abstract thinking as an object of study and training. However, I don't see any problem if we acknowledge abstract thinking as a component of activity. Thinking is a component of activity, and there is no reason to separate abstract thinking from activity. In this regard, it becomes reflection or at least a component of reflection. It has its own role, and its own life; but it has also a joint role and a joint life. I am not propagating extremes. I envisage a more balanced system of doing and reflecting. Not just doing. And of course, not only reflecting.

Best,

Lubo

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Glassman, Michael
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 11:40 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Unit of analysis RE: experience

Hi Lubrimor,

Yeah, I think Dewey might scoff at the idea that abstract thinking separated from the activity we do is the foundation of the human condition.  Or if is the foundation it is because those who make their bread and butter off of abstract thinking make it that way.  There's nothing wrong with abstract thinking and learning about how the world works, just don't give it a position separate from and especially above the real problem solving that people do.

Hi Helena,

If scientific management is separate management by experts then yes, I think this is what Dewey was talking about.  And I think we can definitely see how this has played out in the way MBAs are destroying so much including education and the way economists destroyed the financial world.  They have power because they claim they have the abstract knowledge and we defer to them based on their degrees.

Michael