[Xmca-l] Re: LSV on language as a model of development

Ma, James (james.ma@canterbury.ac.uk) james.ma@canterbury.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 12:57:25 PDT 2014

Hello, this was the exact quote I thought about (I noticed Mike's email on my mobile when walking in the country).
Best, James
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Kyle Booten <kbooten@gmail.com>
Sent: 02 July 2014 20:13
To: Mike Cole; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: LSV on language as a model of development

Perhaps this?

"The acquisition of language can provide a paradigm for the entire problem
of the relation between learning and development.  Language arises
initially as a means of communication between the child and the people in
his environment.  Only subsequently, upon conversion to internal speech,
does it come to organize the child's thought, that is, become an internal
mental function."  (seventh from last paragraph in "Interaction Between
Learning and Development," pg. 89 in Mind in Society, 1978)

-Kyle