[Xmca-l] Re: Call for papers on mind wandering and reading and writing

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 00:08:27 PST 2014

I am looking forward to these papers too! I have always thought of mind-wandering and daydreaming as an internalised form of playfulness and a useful way of making it more likely that you will come across hitherto unnoticed connections and paths. But I think there is also much to be said for helping children (and adults) to develop their ability to move between wandering and more focused (even blinkered) forms of attention - one of which would be mindfulness. Wandering is lovely when you are not under pressure to be somewhere by a certain time but sometimes it makes sense to take a familiar route or to plan a route in advance!

All the best,

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: 30 January 2014 04:09
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Call for papers on mind wandering and reading and writing

Without any scientific justification at all, I tend to see it that way as well, Mike. I have a terrible deficit of focus and (much to Vonney's
annoyance) often don't see what is under my nose, but that is because my mind is wandering all the time, and I have no intention, and never had, of trying to do anything about that, to "discipline" my mind, because I absolutely rely on whatever it is which is going on when I am not thinking about something.
Some people are different. Vonney has incredible perception. She sees things (and smells, and hears) which are invisible to me, but she has great difficulty in seeing what is not there. This becomes an issue for us when it comes to interior design/renovations, etc. She always does a fantastic job, in the end, but it takes lots of work to visualise the object before it is produced, usually relying on finding pictures of the same thing done by someone else in magazine. The opposite for me. I can see it before it is built easily, but I do not have the same discrimination, so it is no use.
I would love to read whatever comes out of this call for papers. But I would be interested even more if it were not exclusively focussed on education and children. Us adults apprehend the world differently too.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.mira.net/~andy/

[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>