[Xmca-l] Re: Boal and Brecht

Shirin Vossoughi shirinvossoughi@gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 14:38:01 PST 2014

Hi Haydi,

In my experience (one among many versions of Boalian theater) - Image
theater is mostly non-verbal - though there is often a narrator, and the
human statues sometimes speak anyway! Whereas forum theatre often involves
both scripted and unscripted elements. It is scripted in the sense that
actors develop a scene with a central problem or conflict. But it becomes
unscripted at the point at which the central protagonist "fails"
dramatically (in confrontation with the central antagonist) and audience
members are invited to rewind the scene, replace the protagonist and try
out alternative outcomes. This improvisation includes discussion with
everyone of the ethico-political issues as you described. Perhaps what
distinguishes forum theatre in a more classic boalian sense from role play
and discussion is the organization of the scene as a "game" between the
actors and the audience, mediated usually by a "joker" character who
disregards the "4th wall," helps to complicate/deepen the discussion and
the possibilities for action within the scene.

With regards to invisible theater - I have seen it done in two ways. In our
own work with migrant youth in a summer program, when we did in invisible
theatre, we always eventually "broke" the scene (making it recognizable as
a theatrical scene) and engaged students in a discussion of what had just
transpired. On a recent trip to Iran, I had the chance to work with some
folks doing Boalian theatre in Tehran whose practice is to sustain the
invisibility of the scene (never letting on that they are actors).

I'm curious to know more about the notion that Boal was "hostile to
language" as I'm not sure what you mean here?

Thanks for the discussion!
Shirin