[Xmca-l] Re: Pete Seeger

Robert Lake boblake@georgiasouthern.edu
Tue Jan 28 09:06:48 PST 2014

Thanks for adding this Peter. I love what Seeger said when brought before
congress in 1955.
Again from today's New York Times piece.“*I am not going to answer any
questions as to my association, my philosophical or religious beliefs or my
political beliefs, or how I voted in any election, or any of these private
affairs. I think these are very improper questions for any American to be
asked, especially under such compulsion as this.”*Mr. Seeger offered to
sing the songs mentioned by the congressmen who questioned him. The
committee declined.

I literally began my career in education by teaching Pete's anti-war songs,
(and some others from the mid- 20th century roots music era). in English
classes,  first to refugees from South East Asia, then later from Ukraine
and Bosnia and finally to migrant farm workers here in South Georgia.

Later I would officially learn about the power of ZPD's, and was enabled to
historically identify the consciousness raising dynamic and
multidimensional aspects of collective and affective pedagogy through
musical/linguistic artefacts. Seeger always sought to create this
environment throughout his music career. It was never just entertainment to
him. For example listen to him teach Jose Marti's poem through song here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDU5kAnHB8I

RL