[Xmca-l] Re: Working for the Few | Oxfam International

Bill Blanton blantonwe@comcast.net
Sat Jan 25 16:36:04 PST 2014

Greg, take a look at the work of Edward O. Wilson. He studied ants and other socially organized insects. It a is a great body of work.

BB
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Thompson" <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>
To: "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 2:01:17 PM
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Working for the Few | Oxfam International

Lately I've come across some bees in my thinking and trying to figure out
where to fit them into my oversimplified vision of Smith-inspired vs.
Marx-inspired thinking.

Here is a link about the bees (yes, I really meant bees):
http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/seeley.shtml

The basic idea that Seeley proposes is that "whenever there is collective
decision-making, there is the potential for swarm intelligence", and that
Swarm Intelligence happens when a group of animals is able to solve
cognitive problems much better than any individual animal could have solved
them.

I know that Mandeville's parable of the bees was used by Smith
(approvingly) and I thought Marx references it as well (although I can't
find the cite).

As I was reading about Seeley's work, I could help but think that, on the
one hand, this was grist for the mill of the bourgeois capitalist economist
(I say that against Paul Thibault's advice to me that nobody uses
"bourgeois" anymore). In particular, those bees prove, as Seeley gestures
towards on his home page, that markets can produce the best decisions for
all. Here we hear echoes of Smith's invisible hand (as it is interpreted by
the aforementioned economists - and despite the very minor role that this
concept played in Smith's thinking...).

On the other hand, this notion of Swarm Intelligence seems to run counter
to the deep individualism of our day. And I wonder if it doesn't seem to
resonate in some ways with Marx (hence the need for the citation, and the
basis for my question of fitting in).

At the least, the bees do seem to demonstrate the value of collaboration.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me to make sense of this particular
"bee in my bonnet".

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.