[Xmca-l] Re: Working for the Few | Oxfam International

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe pmocombe@mocombeian.com
Thu Jan 23 03:13:25 PST 2014

Andy,

I am a product of an alternative structuring than that of the protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism.  I was raised in a small province of Haiti, Le borgne, by my grandparents who served the lwaes of my ancestors and country...i am a product of the haitian/african "vodou ethic and the spirit of communism" of that province.  It is from that practical consciousness that my teaching and activism stems.  The women, like blacks in america, of the 70s, 80s, 90s...did not change the world...they sought to participate in it as constituted by rich, white, protestant, heterosexual men...Prior to her death my grandmother, who could not read and write, "could not understand why women wanted to wear pant suits and act like men..."

In my 3rd year in grad school my grandmother sat me down and said,

"Poh (her nickname for me)...the universe blessed you with tremendous intelligence do not use it for personal wealth or to benefit yourself because there are countless people who sacrificed their own education so that you can have yours.  Your life work belongs to their service and the poor you have left behind in haiti. .."  she went on to say, "I know all the stuff the white people in the university have taught you have made you an atheist, but you are not white, you are haitian/african, you owe your freedom to no man, but to the lwaes of your ancestors who blessed you with your intelligence to serve them and the poor...never abandon them, pray daily, and always remember that the universe is and must be your frame of reference...no matter what the white people say"

I am a Marxist in the western tradition because that is the only tradition I came across in the West that is in line with the African communal ethic my grandparents instilled in me.  It is from my vodou ethic and the spirit of communism that i see the destruction wrought on by Western practical consciousness,  and it is from that ethic that I seek to change the world.

We must not fight and protest to recursively reorganize and reproduce and participate in a practical consciousness that is bent on raping the earth and it's resources, and exploiting and starving the masses of people while a few drive automobiles...that is absurd and insane!

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
President
The Mocombeian Foundation, Inc.
www.mocombeian.com
www.readingroomcurriculum.com

I have been a wage worker all my life, and so far as I am concerned that
is not "the same system" as slavery or subsistent farming. And that
difference matters to me. Likewise, women who participated in the
"second wave" feminist movement are doubtless disappointed that every
woman who today enjoys the benefits of the rights won by feminists in
the 70s, 80s and 90s do not always identify as a feminist, but they
changed the world irreversibly and if the world is still unsatisfactory,
that is just as things should be.
There is no such thing as "structuralist action" and "humanist action."
These terms are applicable to theories, and oftentimes theory does not
correspond well to practice. Although you run a literacy project in your
real life (so to speak) Paul, in your written contributions on this list
you have been a consistent structuralist, and no-one could guess, from
what you write, that outside the discussion of theory you actually
struggle to make a difference. It is not comprehensible because nothing
in what you say in theoretical discussions is consistent with making any
effort to make the world a better place.
Here is now it works (as I see it, modeled on Hegel's Logic). You see a
problem. Others in similar a social position also see the problem and
you begin to collaborate. (It is no longer a personal problem). You
develop and act upon solutions, but mostly they fail. But eventually you
hit upon some course of (collaborative) action which gets some momentum
and seems to make a difference. (It is no longer subjective.) You all
become self-conscious of this new project and name it. It develops its
own self-concept, rules and norms of belief, action and meaning. (It is
now a new concept entering into the existing culture, changing and being
changed). After resisting it almost to the death, the existing culture
responds by co-opting it (albeit in some modified form) and the project
becomes mainstreamed. Whether this leads to a qualitative collapse of
the former social formation and an entirely new identity, or simply a
modification remains to be seen. It is not given in advance. But things
have changed and things go on quite differently now. New problems arise
and new solutions are possible. The total overthrow of all existing
social conditions are events which are separated by centuries, but it is
only by means of efforts to resolve particular problems manifested in a
social formation that in the end the root cause in the foundations of
the social formation itself are exposed and transformed. Every little
step is a revolution. But you can't turn straight to the last chapter
when you open the book. And if the hero has not triumphed by the end of
the first chapter it would be a mistake to declare the whole chapter a
waste of time. Yes?

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.mira.net/~andy/