[Xmca-l] Re: Working for the Few | Oxfam International

Tom Richardson tom.richardson3@googlemail.com
Tue Jan 21 10:19:02 PST 2014

Hello David Kirshner
Your project is interesting indeed, and Andy B.'s caveats are concepts I
think I agree with.
But I am wondering off the top of my head after reading these posts several
things:
     1.] what is the nature / character of the 'wealth' of the
ultra-wealthy, i.e in terms of
           money but not capital?
     2.] to what extent are the ultra-wealthy benefitting without conscious
intention from capital's brutal profit-producing logics

1.] unpicking the question - while the trillions of US$s owned by the top
0.01% (or whatever) that are stashed in banks are 10 time
     times the global annual GDP, this is not capital =, i.e. productive
investment which will socially reproduce constant capital (C) and
     labour-power (V) - I'm not sure if it is technically 'fictitious
capital', but it certainly does not at present have that 'real' status. But
     crucially for my question, the process which is able to produce these
huge treasure stores, is not one which is originally intended
     'greedily'  to produce a bigger pile, but
2.] unpicked - was originally the result of the normal 'profit' production
(surplus value from the production process) which continues to be
     built up, helped by every current trick in the exploitation book -
zero-hours contracts/off-shoring at super-exploitation wages/ etc.
     This build up - I cannot call it accumulation since is is simply no
longer being invested in production, and that is the non-greedy
     intention of capital, accumulating to increase 'C' , once capitalists
start indulgent spending, we should smell a rat? So, the hoards are
     obviously reaping interest rewards and so Marx's great
'fairytale-error of compound interest' comes into play.

The question to my mind becomes, perhaps, not only one of social
psychology, if it is that at all (Andy B.'s caveat) , but rather, at what
point in the immiseration of both Eastern and Western
working-classes/middle-classes? will productive investment become again the
chosen method of increasing 'wealth' (theirs). One historical method to
retrieve that moment has been the destruction of capital values through
war. This is being used at present, securing resources and squandering
profits in state spending on arms. The risk of further interglobal conflict
(WW3) can be seen growing  IMO. Greed is undoubtedly an unpleasant human
emotion / drive, but its role as *the* driver of the development of the
current global situation is questionable, IMO.
Tom Richardson
Middlesbrough
UK