[Xmca-l] Re: Working for the Few | Oxfam International

Lisa Yamagata-Lynch lisayl@utk.edu
Tue Jan 21 06:08:02 PST 2014

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014, Dr. Paul C. Mocombe <pmocombe@mocombeian.com>
wrote:

> Andy and david,
>
> It would appear that any counter - narrative would have to be
> anti-dialectical and counter-hegemonic, I.e., anti-individual,
> anti-capitalist, anti-humanity...  Can such a counter - narrative come from
> a humanity, including us academics, subjectified to reproduce individual
> wealth, upward mobility, and status at the expense of the masses of poor
> around the world, paradoxically, seeking our bourgeois lifestyle?
>
> I ask because,  it would appear that the earth,in marxian terms, as a
> class for itself, has been begging for humanity to change the way it
> recursively reorganize and reproduce it's being-in-it over the last 100
> years, but we consistently refuse.  Instead, turning to dialectical
> measures, fracking, carbon credits, neoliberalism, etc., to attempt to
> resolve our problems and maintain the protestant ethic and the spirit of
> capitalism as an "enframing" (heidegger's term) ontology.
>
> I am not a pessimistic person, but it appears that in this case we are all
> dead we just do not know it yet.
>

> Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
> President
> The Mocombeian Foundation, Inc.
> www.mocombeian.com
> www.readingroomcurriculum.com

> dkirsh@lsu.edu <javascript:;>> </div><div>Date:01/21/2014  2:50 AM
>  (GMT-05:00) </div><div>To: ablunden@mira.net <javascript:;>,"eXtended
> Mind, Culture,   Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu <javascript:;>>
> I suppose social psychology's unitary and a-historical ascription of the
> human sense of material well-being as relative to other people (rather than
> as relative to one's own past) gets it wrong from the start. Still, I think
> it provides a way to understand the individual pursuit of wealth, carried
> to its limits, as anti-social and destructive; an effective
> counter-narrative to the libertarian ideal of the individual unfettered by
> societal constraints. We badly need a counter-narrative to regain some kind
> of political leverage for ordinary citizens.
> If anyone would like to help pull that together in the form of a paper,
> please reply, on-line or off-.
> Thanks.
> David
> dkirsh@lsu.edu

Lisa Yamagata-Lynch, Associate Professor
Chancellor's Administrative Intern and IT Online Program Coordinator
Educational Psychology and Counseling
A532 Bailey Education Complex
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996