[Xmca-l] Re: is the mind a function of the brain?

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 08:09:20 PST 2014

Jose,
I've always thought a strength of SCT/CHAT has been the commitment to a
non-dualist ontology - meaning that mind and body (ideal and material) are
not split apart. In some ways this sounds similar to SFL, but I would also
suspect that the SFL approach is more of a materialist approach, but I may
be wrong about that. SCT's other great strength is that it isn't
reductively materialist. Rather, SCT/CHAT includes the social and
historical in the mind/brain.

But having said that, you could probably talk to 10 different SCT/CHAT
folks and get 10 different theories of mind.

One of my favorite explanations, though, can be found in Martin Packer's
book The Science of Qualitative Research. In it you will find an engagement
with the long history of dualist and non-dualist ontologies. There isn't as
much explicitly about mind in the book, but it's in there.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor