[Xmca-l] Re: is the mind a function of the brain?

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 07:35:33 PST 2014

On 14 January 2014 14:47, jose david herazo <jherazo4@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm writing the final chapter of my PhD dissertation about the role of
> academic concepts in students' oral production and development of a second
> language (L2 ). Since my study is grounded on both sociocultural theory and
> systemic functional linguistics (SFL), one of my committee members
> suggested a possible contradiction in what each theory views as mind.
> SFLers, for instance, consider that there is no need for something called
> the mind that is different from the brain. They prefer to talk in terms of
> 'higher order semiotic consciousness' (HAlliday, 2004: The language of
> science) rather than mind. On their terms, the mind is a function of the
> brain. What is the mind for SCT? Is it the inner plane, consciousness? Has
> anybody discussed what this concept refers to in sociocultural theory?
>
> Any suggestions and comments are welcome,

Dear Jose,

For SCT (CHAT in particular) mind is socially mediated.  Pretty much any
classical CHAT text will touch upon this.

If you are seeking some kind of binary (artificial) distinction between
brain and mind, the circumstances of blind-deaf children may be
appropriate.  See, for example, Meshcheryakov in "Awakening to Life" (1979,
p. 309): "It has been demonstrated and proven through this experiemnt that
scientifically organised instruction of children held back by what might
seem an insuperable obstacle -- namely the lack of sight and hearing --
could equip a deaf-blind child for human development in the full sense of
the word and shape a mind of the highest level, that would give him access
to the treasure house of human culture and knowledge and enable him to
achieve the fruition of all his capacities and talents."

Best,
Huw