[Xmca-l] MOOC on Language Behavior

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:17:55 PST 2014

I will be teaching a MOOC along with Mary Lahman and Steve Stockdale on the
long lost field of General Semantics (I should mention that I'm playing
third fiddle - Steve and Mary have been wonderful in taking the lead).

General Semantics is a field that was started by Alfred Korzybski in the
1930's in the U.S. and has had a big (if forgotten) impact on the field of
Communication here in the United States. In addition, the notion of
semiotic mediation plays an important role in General Semantics so there is
an interesting kinship with many CHAT ideas.

I will be teaching Module 4 (i.e., week 4) and will be teaching about the
Linguistic Relativity Hypothesis (aka, the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis)
particularly as it relates to General Semantics.

If interested, the course is completely free and you can sign up online at:
https://www.canvas.net/courses/general-semantics-an-approach-to-effective-language-behavior
(and I've attached a flyer too)

Recognizing that mooc enrollment numbers don't mean a great deal, it
nonetheless seems of interest that there are currently over 700 students
enrolled from at least 25 different countries.

I'm looking forward to my first MOOC experience and I hope that some of you
will be able to join me. Should be an interesting ride!

Very best.
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.