[Xmca-l] Re: Public intellectuals

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Sat Feb 22 03:36:27 PST 2014

I'm sure that these essays escaped your notice.....I've been urging more academics to write for the public since my appointment to the AERA committee on communication and outreach about 5 years ago. In case anyone's interested, in these essays (written to promote more public writing), I give reasons why we should, and why we don't, take on this task.

Smagorinsky, P. (2013, September 19). Carpe diem in the public sphere. Part II. Writers Who Care. Available at http://writerswhocare.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/carpe-diem-in-the-public-sphere-part-ii/

Smagorinsky, P. (2013, September 16). Carpe diem in the public sphere. Part I. Writers Who Care. Available at http://writerswhocare.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/carpe-diem-in-the-public-sphere-part-i/

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Preiss
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 8:30 PM
To: xmca-l@ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Public intellectuals

Please see below in the link a clever response to Krystof's piece. It is still a very USA centered debate. It would be interesting to hear a bit how it resonates in other countries. As for Chile university profs are quite engaged in public debate, specially those in the social sciences. Many of them are more invested there than in the mainstream academic media, which is not necesarilly good as the connection between research and public discourse weakens.

m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2014/02/why-is-academic-writing-so-academic.html

Descarga la aplicación oficial de Twitter aquí

Enviado desde mi iPhone