[Xmca-l] Re: Video Publishing??

Bligh, Brett b.bligh@lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 03:00:30 PST 2014

In terms of journal publishing, well I know that most Elsevier-published journals will take supplementary video materials and place them into the online version of the article (in their ScienceDirect platform).

See http://cdn.elsevier.com/promis_misc/supplementary_multimedia_data_oct2009.pdf for a bit more info.

The only reason I know is that I had an article in their journal "Computers and Education" a year or so ago and they requested some video materials from me (which unfortunately I couldn't supply because the participant release form I had used had been worded so as to restrict the use of the video footage I recorded).

I also had an article in an independent, entirely online journal a while back that not only allows video materials but actually *requires* authors to provide a recorded video introduction for every paper. That the International Journal of Media, Technology and Lifelong Learning, at http://seminar.net/

Looking back at my own hastily recorded introduction about 4 years later is actually fairly cringe-inducing for me, though, I'm afraid.

Neither Elsevier or Seminar seem to use Youtube or Vimeo; both seem to host the files themselves and use bespoke players.

When embedding videos in websites, I have had far better results in the past with Vimeo than Youtube. If you're feeling ambitious you can even create a player (called a Hubnut Widget) that allows viewers to choose between multiple videos in a single box, which works quite smoothly. http://vimeo.com/tools/widget

Hope that helps a bit,

Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Laure Kloetzer
Sent: 20 February 2014 07:57
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Video Publishing??

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the news on the book, it feels really exciting ! I am really looking forward to reading it. The dialogical format is something we do too in our reports (Activity Clinic) and I am very curious to see how it works.

Regarding videos, what we did for our (French) book was to open our own website with the same domain name as the book (you have to buy a domain name but that's less than 20 dollars per year) to host videos, as well as comments and extensions on the book (blog-like). In this way, we keep control of the videos, which was an important point for us. The URL is in the book, and so you can update the website when you want and readers find this additional content easily.

Best,
LK