[Xmca-l] Re: Dylan at the super bowl

David Preiss daviddpreiss@gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 15:20:36 PST 2014

I am not a North American. I am a South American. Specifically a Chilean with a strong jewish heritage. So I have always looked at the role cars play in the American imaginary with some uneasiness and astonishment. (Most of all, because cars are one the most depredatory technologies ever mass-build in human history).

When I lived in the USA the first thing that impressed me is that without a car there is almost no real everyday citizenship there. And by citizenship. I mean access to, for instance, public natural parks and to other public goods (e.g. schools, hospitals, and so on). Most generally, if you want to move more or less freely you need a car.  Therefore I can understand why people equal cars and freedom (which is a reverse of the fact that they are dependent on cars, mostly). That's not true in many places of the world, certainly, where public transport is a better way to move people around. And where cars are (or were) more of a nuisance. (I lived two years in the USA without one as I just didn't like cars; my wife and I have to get one when my wife was expecting because of obvious reasons. Unfortunately I have kept the bad habit).

Then, after 9/11, I learnt how cars meant more than citizenship. GM made their ads about "keep america rolling" right after the September attacks. Do you remember them? In many countries, using a national disgrace to support the  commercial interest of a corporation would have backfired as people would have thought that they were being manipulated. Not in North America. Buying a car was now a way to overcome terrorism and recovering America's muscle and strength. The ad made by Bob Dylan is on the same sort of nationalistic genre. I don't know Dylan's track as a socially minded singer t but I can't imagine Victor Jara or Violeta Parra doing a commercial such as that one.

Before leaving, I stopped by Detroit on my way to a summer school in the University of Michigan. Then, I understood even less. A full American iconic city provided testimony that public and private interests do not coincide. The GM headquarters dominated the skyline of a destroyed city. Then, I left the USA. And then, the crisis came along the American government bailout of the auto industry, including GM. By December 2013 GM was free again from USA taxpayer ownership whereas Detroit had filed for bankruptcy. I am not an economist. Some people say that Obama's role in the bailout of the auto industry was one of his cleverest moves. I assume that those saying it don't worry too much about the decay of many American cities such as Detroit.

And now, this ad. To be honest, I am not surprised that Bob Dylan, other American icon, uses his symbolic charisma to convince the American public that they need "to keep America rolling", whatever that means. Certainly it does not resonate with me. I have never liked the use of national values to sell the produce of any industry. I don't like it here in Chile when we use it to refer to mining, winery or anything. At the end the ad, though, becomes openly chauvinistic... Sad that Dylan lends his credentials to that sort of discourse. But who knows, maybe he does not consider himself as somebody that appeals to an international audience. As I said, I am not a North American. I am a South American. That sort of stuff can't resonate with me.

And then, I remember that there are other things "made in the USA" that are a real part of the "international arts" to compensate for this. At this moment, some of the best work of Phillip Seymour Hoffman comes to my mind. But also, many other american artists (specially poets) that I treasure as an important part of my own cultural background.