[Xmca-l] Re: Dylan at the super bowl

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Mon Feb 3 03:40:08 PST 2014

Dylan was also excoriated by his folk fan base when he first played electric instruments in the 1960s, so the "sellout" accusation has been offered before. I'm not in the business of telling musicians how to make a living, so am not making that judgment myself. But Dylan has always been an iconoclast.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Peter Hourdequin
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 6:31 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Dylan at the super bowl

I also found this puzzling when I read about it today, but I must say that my first reaction was mixed feelings. Patriotism has many varieties, and the "buy American" message is quite different from supporting American imperialism. Back on his 1983 album, Infidels, Dylan took a fairly straight-forward stand on these issues in two songs.  On "Sweetheart like you" he paraphrases Samuel Johnson when he sings:
"They say that patriotism is the last refuge / To which a scoundrel clings. / Steal a little and they throw you in jail, /Steal a lot and they make you king. / "
Then on a later track entitled Union Sundown, he writes:
"Well, you know, lots of people complainin' that there is no work. / I say, "Why you say that for / When nothin' you got is U.S.-made?" /They don't make nothin' here no more, / You know, capitalism is above the law. /It say, "It don't count 'less it sells." / When it costs too much to build it at home/ You just build it cheaper someplace else./

Well, it's sundown on the union /And what's made in the U.S.A. /Sure was a good idea / 'Til greed got in the way."

In this light, Dylan's Super Bowl message is consistent with a pro-American worker stance that I think was shared by Pete Seeger as well.  Still, shilling for an American automaker on the most sacred day of America's consumerist culture does leave me with mixed feeling about the artist and his role. But since Dylan has been part of American consumer culture for five decades, I think the argument that he is selling out some principle that he once avowed is less than convincing.