[Xmca-l] Re: How *basic* are images?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 01:25:53 PST 2014

Mike:

I'm afraid I'm thinking like a painter. As soon as a painting is a finished
image, it's finished; it's not the object of painting but the result of
painting. I sometimes gawk at my own paintings, but it produces a rather
disagreeable feeling, like sitting on a toilet in a dirty outhouse staring
at a fly speckled ceiling, and I hope that the feeling for people looking
at the painting is very different,

So here's the idea. Imagination is a process...the process of forming an
image from things that are not images, or at least not the kind of image we
are interested in forming. Of course, in some cases, you form an image from
another image, by looking at a live model and trying to paint it. But even
these limit cases, where an imagined image is created from a perceived
image, involve considerably more than "combinatorial" imagination; the
resulting image is not a kind of Galton photograph of many different
perceptions of the object. What we are really doing is realizing an
intention, and that intention almost by definition involves something that
is not reducible to perceptions or experiences.

I think the Gestaltists believed in structures, but that only Vygotsky
believed that the structures were essentially neoformations along the lines
of linguistic productions: entirely novel structures built of resources
that were simultaneously ideal and material. They weren't neoformations out
of nothing, and they weren't neoformations out of the lower functions
either; they were assisted by cultural productions, for sure, else they
could not take the obviously verbal forms that they do; e.g. Michelangelo's
struggle between the angels is, at bottom, a story handed down from the
Bible. But they aren't reducible to cultural productions either, else the
child couldn't stare up at Michelangelo's ceiling and still make some sense
of his or her own out of it without knowing the Bible story.

(My wife, growing up in China, had no access to Bible stories at all. She
then read the King James Bible as part of her training in seventeenth
century English literatures, alongide Shakespeare, Marlowe, and Ben
Jonson. Then, one day in Venice, we were in the Cathedral at San Marco, and
they turned the ceiling lights on, so you could see the ceiling mosaics,
and she could see Noah, drunken and abandoned by his two sons, and the tree
of life, and all the rest, and she turned to me and muttered in Chinese
that this is what the ancients had in mind. She meant that quite literally,
or rather non-literally; this was how cultural functions were transmitted
to illiterates when only perception could be used.)

 David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies