[Xmca-l] Re: the genetic roots of thought and speech

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 16:11:00 PST 2014

Mike, Bella
My re-reading opens up the question of "verbal-thinking" as being actually
"circumscribed" which indicates "modes" of functioning that are "beyond"
thinking "in the true sense of the word".

These other modes would possibly include the verbal gestures which are
expressive of our being gregarious [and similar to orangatuns. If this is a
central way to "be" then the first year of life when the vocal
apparatus when used for this gregarious function may be central to the
trajectory of development. This is pointing to the literature on
"attachment" and connection and bonding that pre-exists the formation of
verbal thinking.
I understand that the mother is operating through verbal thinking, but the
question is how central is this other verbal function that pre-existsverbal
thought.
If verbal thought is *circumscribed* does the other function of the verbal
as gesture also offer key insights to our development?

Larry