[Xmca-l] Re: no primitive language?

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Dec 28 00:55:45 PST 2014

Your most and the attachment is remarkably pertinent, Henry. Thank you!
I think from a list-protocol point of view, I think that (1) As Luisa
suggested, providing links and documents supporting a thread is to be
encouraged, and (2) More or less as Martin suggested, when introducing a
work or writer to a thread, one ought to provide a synopsis or what it
says or what it proves. So I have copied the abstract below.

    "We argue that the evolution of symbolic capacity has resulted in
    three unprecedented modifications of hominid cognitive and emotional
    predispositions that are particularly relevant for explaining some
    of the more distinctive and enigmatic characteristics of religion:
    (1) a predisposition to understand worldly events and one’s own
    identity and place within the world in narrative terms; (2) a
    predisposition to conceive of the world as two-layered, so that some
    objects and events of mundane experience are like signs expressing
    meanings that concern a hidden and more fundamental level of
    existence; and (3) a capacity for what we describe as emergent
    emotional experiences that are of a higher order than primary
    evolved emotions, and which are in turn the source of transcendent
    forms of experience—often considered to be the most exalted aspects
    of a spiritual life."

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/