[Xmca-l] Re: Maths and science in Korea

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sat Dec 27 10:48:17 PST 2014

David

      Interesting what you say here about 'combinatorial imagination' and number. There is a mathematical sense, in which even relatively  small numbers scan be treated as grammar, for instance, sixty. That is, besides its notation in base-ten, it has importantly the factors of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12,  15, 20, 30. 60. I can see that one might think that within physics the combinatorial aspect of number might become a fetter (although the primes seem to have a sort of importance). However, the combinatorial properties of number are of more than a little important within modern technology and, of course, modern mathematics (and even calculators - smile). Anyway, I agree there is a sense in which larger numbers seem more complex (an interesting question might be whether 60 is more complex than 100000000000000001).
      I appreciate your age example but there is a problem. The months do not name the same number of days and hence, I would hope that neither a child or an adult would convert to 'fractional' months to give an 'exact' answer. However, if one was to convert to weeks, fractions would make sense. I don't think many adults I know would convert to fractions if I asked them to be exact (and I don't think any hesitation would be due to difficulties with making fractions from months). What I tend to do (and I suspect you will find this peculiar) is to subtract the year I was born from the current year (I remember those - smile) then treating a year as an interval divided roughly in fourths, give a rough fraction (saying about). This, by the way, is roughly what younger students do although they count up rather than subtract (and there is much discussion as to how one counts the year of birth) and use "just", "one-half", and "almost." Fractions are, more or less, a consequent of the multiplicative properties of numbers and, in a way, they still may be within the sphere of 'combinatorial imagination'; e.g. the importance of the factors of 60 in early arithmetics. However, I am more than sure I imperfectly understand this notion so this is just a wondering.
      Yes, I left off the Sino- as I was interested in local variations and I agree that eleven and twelve is a matter of lexis although all the numbers between 9 and  20 (and they are more than critical for the operations of arithmetic) need, in a sense, to be lexicalized. The problem seems to be students need to learn these structural exceptions and that takes, one might say, precious time. There is also the possibility that the structure of the base-ten number system is eventually weakly grasped and that what remains tentative is passed over in the rush of instruction. I do know there is a lot of evidence that elementary school teachers in the US have a weak grasp of the structure of the base-ten number system. Oh, they can count and do all the operations fine, but are actually fairly unsure what it is all about (and, of course, this may be the case with Korean elementary school teachers also).
     Reading your second example reminds me that I don't quite understanding how you are using combinatorial (I may be mathematizing it too much). I agree that people tend to misrepresent large powers of ten (and most have even greater problems with 'large negative' powers of ten). As I have a reasonable background in the physical science and biological science, I have tended to interpret this as, of the most part, a lack of context or, perhaps, experience (However, I may be quite wrong). Anyway, I see a thousand as 10^3, a million as 10^3 x 10^3 and so on so the commas actually mark the naming. Thus I see the naming as cultural, but corresponding to mathematical notation.
     Anyway, I agree with your point about 'making strange the way they do it.'  For example, I remember a third grade classroom where a young boy remarked, in essence, that our characterization of the numbers 6, 10, 12, 14, etc. in terms of even was strange. However, his reasons were combinatorial. Perhaps, you are saying that merely having the ability to perform or notice the combinatorial is insufficient guarantee that this move of 'strangeness'  can be performed. I find this quite interesting and I would definitely agree (I remember when I first consciously realized this). I have struggled for years to inculcate such tendencies in my students. However, I've so far been unable to sufficiently frame what I seem to be chasing.

Ed