[Xmca-l] Re: the genetic roots of thought and speech

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Dec 23 18:14:04 PST 2014

I always thought that Vygotsky took speech as the archetype of language,
and consequently, when he chose the spoken word as his germ cell/unit of
analysis, the spoken word was taken as the archetype for the written
word or the manual sign. Personally, I don't see any basis for a
significant differentiation between any spoken language and ASL, AUSLAN
or NSL, except that the spoken language is logically and historically
prior to Sign Language. And despite what Vygotsky says about gestures
and knots, I think he saw it that way too.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/