[Xmca-l] Re: the genetic roots of thought and speech

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Tue Dec 23 16:59:36 PST 2014

Message from Francine:

This reminds me of a debate that I had with Greg Thompson over a year ago
about hearing impaired people  who do not have speech
but use hand sign language. Hand sign language is a sensori-motor semiotic
systems that communicates thoughts to others. This is a semiotic fusion that
does not involve speech. Dance is another sensori-motor fusion with thought
(which is itself based on sensori-motor experience). Visual symbols systems
are another.

My reading of Vygotsky is that only speech vocalizations that fuse with thought
(based on sensori-motor experience) can produce 'word' meanings that are internalized
as the inner speech that creates higher mental functions (consciously regulated
thought processes).