[Xmca-l] Re: FW: Re: Chomsky, Vygotsky, and phenomenology

Aria Razfar arazfar@uic.edu
Mon Dec 22 10:49:25 PST 2014

Hi Annalisa,

After reading your post and David's book review, I feel there is a need to clarify some broader points for the purpose of framing our discussion. First let me say, I appreciate your stance to continue this conversation with "childlike curiosity" and a "playful creative spirit." It is precisely this intention and practice of dialogic imagination "to hear the other" that matters. It is good to apply this to our collective comparison of Vygotsky and Chomsky. Allow me to be explicit about some of the broader framing issues, before tackling one of the specific questions you raise.

The question of compatibility and/or incompatibility seems like a non-productive starting point. I would even say this is a "non-dialogic stance" and anti-Vygotskian stance on the nature of knowledge. We can assume and empirically show that every theory is a unique and "true" stance on the world. At the same time every theory is not unique and a "false" stance on the world, especially when viewed from the boundaries. The convergence or divergence of perspectives depends on how fully we historicize and contextualize each perspective. With this dialogic consciousness we can have productive conversations full of contestation yet moving toward bigger points of convergence and coherence. A goal espoused by Vygotsky in his pursuit of a general psychology, and Chomsky in his pursuit of universal grammar.

It is in this spirit that I wish to complicate one of the questions you raise and perhaps others will chime in: the characterization of the nativist position as "solely genetic explanations for human language" or "it's all biology."  This assertion begs two questions: if it is not all biology or genetics then what is it? Second, what is meant by biology and the nature of 'genetics.' A child and an ape (Koko for example), are placed in the same auditory environment, with roughly the same genome, similar contexts-yet they develop two different modes of communication/language. Even the sign language developed by Koko is debated with regards to "meaning" and whether or not her actions are the result of conditioning. Ironically, the Chomskyan and Vygotskian are asking the same question about "meaning."

On the question of "two Wittgenstein's" "three Vygotskys" and which one I am referring to. This is the easiest question. At the Novodevichy Cemetery in Moscow, there are at least four resting in one grave site. I guess I am referring to all of them and more. But there is only one Vygtosky, one Wittgenstein. They share a common thread of pushing the closed circles of their time. Both were tucked away in a cemetery reserved "for non-conformists." Thanks for pushing Annalisa.

Aria

Aria Razfar, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Literacy, Language, and Culture
Director of Graduate Studies, Curriculum and Instruction
University of Illinois at Chicago
1040 W. Harrison St. M/C 147
Chicago, IL, 60607

Director of English Learning through Mathematics, Science and Action Research (ELMSA)
www.elmsa.org

Webpage: http://education.uic.edu/personnel/faculty/aria-razfar-phd
Tel: 312-413-8373