[Xmca-l] Re: Maths and science in Russia

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sun Dec 21 15:53:52 PST 2014

Ulvi

         Yes, Russia has and I suspect continues to be more successful that the US in 8th grade and that, I think, might call in question seeming US success in 4th grade (there are perhaps complicating factors). At least, a number of people think so which is, as I said before, one reason for recent reform efforts in the US.

         As regards the Russian mathematics curriculum, you might want to take a look at a 1980 4th grade Russian  mathematics text

  ftp://math.stanford.edu/pub/papers/milgram/russian-grade-4-problems.pdf

This is significantly beyond, in places, what is taught to US 4th graders and may, in part, speak to what happens by 8th grade.

You might want to take a look at Russian Mathematics Education: History and World Significance (Schmittau has a chapter).

Ed