[Xmca-l] Re: Speakers of AAE

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Dec 21 11:09:57 PST 2014

Hi,

I've extracted what I could from the Metaphor thread regarding AAE, Labov, etc. Hope this is of service to those who wish to further discuss AAE and Orr's work. I apologize if I did not get everything.

I'm of the sense David Kirshner is very happy this topic is on stage, so I hope you all will not see me as being rude for asking it to go to a new thread?

Kind regards,

Annalisa

From: on behalf of lpscholar2@gmail.com <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2014 11:02 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Speakers of AAE

I am in over my head when exploring linquistic themes. However, the power of “grammatical structures” within events and even multiple “ontologies” [as recently discussed] leaves me wanting to understand more linquistic anthropology.

I want to add Peter Jones voice to our explorations though a quote he offered while critiquing “Critical Discourse Analysis”  He wrote
”Our position, in contrast with the practice of CDA, is that the identification of the communicational processes and strategies relevant to particular engagements, the understanding and interpretation of what the relevant or significant communicational forms, meanings and patterns are in a particular situation or event is something that emerges in the course of detailed empirical investigation of the relevant event in all its complexity. There is simply no method or procedure of discourse analysis to be applied short of this process of deciding what words mean in the course of interpretatively reconstructing an entire action or event to which the words contribute. Within the event itself there is no level or dimension of “discourse” as a self-contained, stable and iterable system of forms and meanings.”

As I read this quote and link it to the power of grammatical syntax as it “shapes” meaning I’m asking how Peter Jones and David Kellogg overlap? In the above paragraph how is “peter” agentively  using the syntactical grammar for “personal” ends?  and how dominatingly  is the grammatical syntax “shaping” what the person “peter” is “becoming”

Is the grammatical syntax an “aspect” or “element” of the “shaping” and “forming” context WITHIN a multimodal relational  interplay OR Is “Peter” one “aspect” or “element” WITHIN THE EVENT OR ACTION.

In other words is “Peter” more centrally located [as “agentic”] IN DECIDING, and also more deliberate, IN DESIGNING [self-consciously deciding] the action and events AS “activity?

”Who IS doing  the deciding, and how agentively?

Back to “the third space” as a “case” Is the DESIGN of the third space an agentive shaping?  I read Kris as saying there is a hybrid agency BOTH autobiographical and intersubjective..

How central in shapting this “third space” is grammatical metaphor.  Is grammatical metaphor dominant, or is Kris as deciding and designing PRE-structures more agentively dominant or is it the radical reciprocal inter-subjective hybridity OF and IN “the third space” what is dominant?

These are questions generated in my “musings” linking and transverse-ing our explorations as performances.

Larry

From: Vera John-Steiner <vygotsky@unm.edu>
Sun 12/21/2014 11:05 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>;

Hi,

About Labov's work, the children were taking care of a rabbit and making
cogent arguments about feeding, etc.
Vera

From: greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun 12/21/2014 10:28 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>;

Re double negatives as "negative concord": Russian too no?
Greg

From: Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co>
Sun 12/21/2014 10:01 AM
To:eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>;

Double negatives in Spanish too. And we all know how that really slowed the Spanish down! Not.

Martin

On Dec 21, 2014, at 10:55 AM, Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was also the problem of the double negative of African American
> dialect.  Psychologists said that a double negative was equal to a
> positive, and then therefore  speakers of AAE were incapable of logical
> thought.  Labov laid out the paradigm of positive and negatives in AAE, to
> show just how logical it is.

On Dec 21, 2014, at 10:55 AM, Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com>
Sun 12/21/2014 8:57 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>;

Hi

A small piece of info about Labov. At the height of the psychologists'
theory of deficit, the linguists and sociolinguists came to the fore with a
profoundly important observation of difference.  No language has a deficit.

As you know, Labov did a partial replication of the deficit situation. The
big white man into an interview with a small black child, and performed
dysmally.  However, Labov has set up his own  second analysis, by asking
the children in the "waiting room" to take care of his white rat. That
situation produced an abundance of language. These children were certainly
not short of language, not "nonverbal".

There was also the problem of the double negative of African American
dialect.  Psychologists said that a double negative was equal to a
positive, and then therefore  speakers of AAE were incapable of logical
thought.  Labov laid out the paradigm of positive and negatives in AAE, to
show just how logical it is.

As a linguistics student in the early 70s, we were inordinately proud of
these linguistic insights. It was the birth of sociolinguists.

I apologise for the lack of references for this presentation. Please
correct any details.

Carol