[Xmca-l] Re: Metaphors

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 13:30:41 PST 2014

Thanks, Ed! Very useful--I have been studying the Hawaiian language
immersion programme which I just missed (I went to elementary school in
Hawaii while the use of Hawaiian in school was still banned). The Hawaiian
immersion programme was modeled on the successful work in New Zealand
transforming Maori into a language of school instruction, but one of the
biggest problems they had at first was creating an instructional register
for mathematics.

Say, for example, you are teaching kids to calculate the volume of a
container by multiplying its three dimensions. You need a word for a
container. Not a calabash or a basket or a pot, which have very distinct
realizations in Hawaiian, but a generalized container of any kind. The
general, abstract notion of a container is actually a very important part
of your instructional register, and that for two reasons.

First of all,  in order to see how the calculation works, you really need a
container that doesn't really exist: an idealized container with nice,
straight sides that will lend themselves perfectly to measuring and
multiplication. Imagine trying to teach this lesson with a calabash, that
is, the kind of hollow gourd that you see used as a percussion instrument
in this song from the Disney movie "Lilo and Stitch":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVptV_Da5qw

(See 0.58--the calabash is only there for about a second).

Secondly, in order to understand how to use the calculation, you really
need the idea that it with work, more or less, with any container--and that
the calabash, the basket and the pot are all as if imperfect realizations
of some Platonic ideal container. This is, of course, totally false: things
are quite the other way around, as the fact of languages like Hawaiian that
have words for different containers but no hyperconcept for all containers
will demonstrate. We have the actual artifacts before we have the ideal
object. But, like grammatical metaphor, the Platonic ideal container is a
highly productive fiction.

Derrida, who is the other uber-structuralist of language besides
Chomsky, claimed that writing preceded speaking, and so he might have
agreed with Francine that a non-alphabetic writing system is going to have
profound effects on the "thinginess" of the semantics (whereas for the rest
of us a language tends to get, at least in the long run, the kind of
writing system that its speaking system requires, as soon as the vagaries
introduced by zealous missionaries and tone-deaf colonial officials have
been ironed out).

Chinese was not written alphabetically until the introduction of Hanyu
Pinyin at the end of the 1950s (an intervention that was designed to
standardize pronunciation and which largely failed). But Chinese has nouns,
verbs and expressions that function in ways that are essentially identical
to our prepositions (they are somewhat more verby than preps, in Chinese
you say that a teacup is "being on" the table). But Francine is certainly
right to say that the non-alphabetic writing system has affected the
way Chinese think about language and made our way of thinking about
language quite different from yours. Chinese doesn't really have the
phoneme as a layer of sound analysis and doesn't need it (but then, neither
do you)!

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies