[Xmca-l] Re: Sociocritical Literacies and more context

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 20 12:25:13 PST 2014

Dear Thread readers

I am wondering, Kris, if there is a youtube version of the teatro session
where the student
really does fly. To me, a pervasive feature of your pedagogy is that it is
future oriented. The past serves as an entry to the future. And the future
is not just talked about, it is enacted in thought provoking ways.

For example, it seems important to link that video to the prior in-class
version of the discussion where they are just starting out and Manuel says.

“With all the repression and the oppression
and suffering in the world, we’re telling you to
pick up books! We’re asking you to study; that’s what
we do with oppression,” asserts Manuel, the instructor:
Maybe this is a beginning for us, who knows (.)
ri:ght?
Think about this place as a workshop, as a factory.
Una maqui::la (.) pero de sueños (.) Right?...
This is where we think about- this is your fu:ture
((Points out toward campus)) (1.2) What’s on the
o:ther si:de? ((Points at a couple of students off camera))
(1.5) You kno::w? (.) You kno:w? (.) No? You
know what’s on the other side? I wanna find out
(though) (.) This is what I wanna do=
=I wanna dream our fu:ture (.) and I don’t just wanna
dream it=
=I wanna look over what’s on the other side=

The future orientation of the discourse (social dreaming as a practice
seems all about possible future), to me at least, comes through very
powerfully.

You define sociocritical in various ways Kris. This one seems most relevant
to the emphasis of pedagogy and political activism. Is that right?

a sociocritical literacy is a syncretic literacy organized around a
pedagogical
approach that focuses on how individuals and their communities influence
and are influenced by social, political, and cultural discourses and
practices in historically specific times and locations.

mike